Monday, July 6, 2009

Too Much


Don't let these scenes of summer fun fool you.

Right now, Charlie's in the next room hacking his lungs out while he watches his "Imagination Movers" DVD. John's upstairs half dead and I'm down here blogging to stay awake. Yes, another cold has wiped out our family yet again. Last night I told John rolled his eyes when I told him we needed to make a family suicide pact. I bet he thought more seriously about that around 3 in the morning when Charlie was croaking (yet again!), "Mommy! My daddy!"

This past week has been crazy, so I'm not surprised that I got sick. But, I got sick after I got everything done, so I can look at that as a blessing.

I've been working like crazy on our Primary Program and the Road Show. On Wednesday, I was getting ready for a rehearsal that night when I got a call asking me to make some baby shower invitations. Since the woman doing the shower is moving in less than a month, and the mom the shower is for is about to pop, the invitations needed to be done by Sunday. Usually when I make cards in bulk, I'll make one really nice one and have it reproduced at a local print shop. Well, I found out the print shop would be closed all weekend. I don't trust Kinko's or any other print shop, so it left me no choice but to make them all myself. It was about an hour later when Charlie woke up from his nap with a fever. Not again.

Well, the rehearsal went great and was actually tons of fun. The Primary kids are getting used to the idea of dancing in front of people . . . so much that we couldn't get them to stop, even for brownies! Let's hope the youth are as excited . . . yeah, right.

That night was spent on the couch with Charlie. Even though I was dying for a nap, I had to go to the dermatologist only to find out I have some kind of funky excema (sp?) on my hands that is, as he put it, "Notoriously hard to get rid of." Why do I only have gross things wrong with me? My mom said she could see me being one of those little old ladies that wears gloves all the time to cover up their nasty diseases. Thanks mom. Maybe you can glue sequins to the left one in memory of M.J.
Luckily, John had work off on Friday and he helped me put the cards together. He's brandishing the scissors at the camera because he told me not to take a picture of him. Too bad, ha! I only had to make about 25 but me and my big ideas . . . of course I had to do something insane. The mom's nursery is going to be a barnyard theme so I made barn cards. Cute but corny. I guess that's the M.O. for baby showers, right?
Sometime on Friday (I literally don't remember when), I finished the Road Show script that I had promised the director I would give her on Sunday. Then Saturday was the 4th of July. I usually dread these holidays because the house is packed with people. I was especially grumpy about it this time around because I wanted a break. But it was actually fun. We set up a Slip 'n' Slide in the backyard and I couldn't resist trying it out. It was a lot of fun. Painful fun, that is. I have bruises on my knees, elbows, shoulders and hips. Mari and I then took an impromptu field trip to Ross, sans kiddos . . . talk about independence! I got a skirt, shirt and shorts for under $30.

Some time that evening, I started to feel a little congested . . . which has now turned into yet another full-blown cold. John made a doctor's appointment, so he must be feeling pretty nasty. I pretty much have the rest of the week "off" before things get crazy again. John's gone to Scout Camp from Saturday to Wednesday, so that's the next big adventure. Gotta go . . . I'm hoping Charlie will sleep so I can, too!

2 comments:

Tina said...

Wow, Girl! You sound crazy busy! No wonder you are getting sick. You need a break. That is funny coming from one mother to another. I know you won't get a break, but do try to rest. I can't have my pooky-poo being all snuffily.

I love what your mom said. She is hilarious. I can totally picture it. :P

But seriously I hope you guys get feeling better soon.

Melissa Hodgen said...

I was just talking about how much I missed slip and slides. You've brought it back. Those invites are to die for. If you ever want to come to Birmingham, I might have to get you to teach us how to make those cupcake cards. I can't get over how much I love them!