Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy V Day!

 

We've had a really good Valentine's week. Last week John surprised me with tickets to see "Cabaret" at the Tivoli Tuesday. I had no idea that show was even coming here so I was a complete surprise. I LOVE musicals and one of my favorite (and in my opinion, one of the best) movie musicals is "Cabaret." The movie version and the stage version are very different so I was really excited to go. I absolutely LOVE going to shows like this. It's such a nice break from just going to the movies. I love getting out and dressing up. John never fails to give me the perfect presents . . . and thus making my gifts to him crap.

In return, I offered to make him a huge breakfast Saturday, since he was traveling to Nashville to take pictures at a wedding. I made him biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, bacon and grits. Can you get any more Southern than that? I was really nervous to make all that at once but miraculously, I managed to serve everything hot at once. Although, I must confess . . . the biscuits were frozen, the gravy was a mix and the grits were instant. Not as impressive anymore, eh? Well, he enjoyed it and he deserved it . . . especially after sitting through "Cabaret" with me. I should've warned him at one point a guy dances in drag . . . lingerie drag. John literally uttered, "UGH!" It's a good thing he didn't go see "The Rocky Horror Show" SCAD put on while we were down there! (My friend Rochelle and I went to see it twice!) I don't think he would've ever recovered.
 
On Friday, Charlie and I made sugar cookies together. I don't know what's gotten into me this year but I just felt like making heart cookies. I mainly made them as a snack John could take to Nashville. I used to love sugar cookies but since I don't eat a lot of desserts anymore, I think my tastes have changed. I had one little heart cookie and had to run and go brush my teeth. It was too stinking sweet! I thought I would never hear myself say that . . . It was a nice little project anyway. I swear, I was rolling out dough, then it started snowing! I felt like I was in a Pillsbury cookie commercial or something. When did I turn into such a cornball?

To add to the corniness, I watched two rom-coms this weekend. I know! What's got into me?! I usually avoid "chick flicks" like the plague. Most of them these days are just idiotic. There are a few I like and watch over and over, but for the most part I avoid them. But these two movies I checked out from the library had good reviews, so I thought I'd try them: "Definitely Maybe" and "Last Chance Harvey." I had avoided "Definitely Maybe" because I think Ryan Reynolds is annoying. But I was pleasantly surprised . . . he was really good in the movie. It was a different sort of rom-com. It actually held my interest and wasn't as predictable (although, the last 45 minutes, you pretty much know exactly what's going to happen) as those other movies are. The acting was really excellent in that one. "Last Chance Harvey" didn't have as much of a plot. It was a lot of talking but I found that I got a bigger romantic payoff than I did with "Definitely Maybe." I don't know, I have a weakness for Emma Thompson. She's just amazing . . . as is Dustin Hoffman. They made a pretty simple movie really fun and interesting to watch because they're such pros. Another miracle . . . I watched 2 romantic comedies in one weekend and they were both pretty good!
 
Rollin'!
 
John sharing his bounty . . . what a good dad. :)

4 comments:

Flynn Fam 6 said...

You two little cookie bakers!!! They turned out very very cute! I love it!

Laura said...

for a person that can eat hardly anything, you sure can bake up some goodies!
as for the chick-flicks, and i am the queen of all predictable, lovey-dovey, stupid movies, they are my favorite, i didn't like "last chance harvey." you would probably like "love actually" if it wasn't rated R...my list is getting pretty long for you to watch on my clearplay.

Tina said...

I hate romantic comedies too. They are all the same.

Is it my fault that you got into RHPS? I remember my older siblings had it on tape and I think you and I snuck and watched it. Am I remembering this right?

BiblioBags said...

Tina . . . that sounds so familiar about RHPC. But I don't know if I actually saw it at your house or if you just told me about it. My friend Rochelle invited me to go to the live one they did at SCAD and that's how I really got into it. It was sooo fun. They even had a real motorcycle come down the aisle. Plus, I really love the music. I listen to it every Halloween. The movie is way worse than the play . . . I know, I'm such a rebel--ha!