Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Keeping Busy


. . . . or just trying to look it.

Here are a couple of purses I made a month or two ago. Both of these came out really, really nice, especially on the inside. Now I'm a little embarrassed at some of the first ones I made!

This "Bluebirds Seven" purse is for Donna Blackburn and I have yet to deliver it to her! ANYWAY, I know yellow and blue are her favorite colors so I think she'll really like this purse . . . when I get it to her!




This purse is for Donna's niece, Elizabeth Webb. For those of you who don't know her, she's the best! She's Charlie's Nursery teacher and probably his favorite person in the world. She's at UTC studying French and Portuguese. Yeah, she's kind of brilliant. So, I thought this French book would be perfect for her. I lined it with toile because you can't get more French than toile. And by the way, both of these purses are lined with toile because my mom is kind enough to let me raid her huge fabric stash . . . and toile is like crack to her. I'm not kidding. She has it in every color. ANYWAY . . . I didn't want the purse to look too old-fashioned so I added those clear handles to make it a little modern. I love this purse!

And now it's time for a failed experiment. I've decided I want to try to sell my book purses. Once I've made a few, I'll start an etsy page. In my crazed mind, I thought I should make other things out of books . . . like wallets. Last week I attempted my first wallet.


It literally took me DAYS to figure this out. Pathetic, no? And when I finally finished it, it did not look sellable at all. It's all wonky and not straight . . . and not cute. In fact, soon after I finished it, it started to fall apart. I'm just not meant to sew! The purses require no sewing . . . just lots of ironing and glueing. I should stick to that. Not to mention, you can charge much more for a purse than a wallet . . . and I seriously could have made 2 to 3 purses in the time it took me to make that dang wallet.

And, something totally random. My brother-in-law Paul got married last week and I was too sick to go. So, I made him and Linda a "wish I was there" card. Obviously, the "f" is for "Flynn" and I used the purple and green because those were their colors . . . I think. I had heard olive and plum, but who knows? I think people need to send Pantone swatches of their colors along with their invitations so I can make them cards with the right colors. Yep, everyone should go to that trouble just for my benefit! And the fleur de lis . . . I used because I like them. Kind of random. It does not look like a wedding card, but I think it's nice anyway.

1 comment:

Tina said...

I actually think the wallet idea is genius. It looks really cute from the picture too. I mean who comes up with this stuff? You seriously amaze me. And I don't mean to be rude, but when am I getting my book purse? :P