Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Surgery

I've been having lots of extreme pain for awhile and other symptoms that have lead my doctor to believe I have endometriosis. I had an ultrasound today and they saw lots of excess fluid . . . my doctor guesses (you really can't tell a lot from an ultrasound) that I had a uterine cyst that ruptured.

The only way you can diagnose endometriosis is by laparoscopy, which I'm scheduled to have next Tuesday. My doctor will make three small incisions in my abdomen, pump it full of air (gross, I know) and with a scope, check inside my abdomen for endometrial tissue. If he finds any, he will burn it off with a laser. It's an outpatient surgery so I get to go home the same day. I'm extremely happy about that--I'll actually get to sleep! The recovery time is usually 1-2 weeks. It's a minor surgery though it doesn't sound much fun. Even though I am nervous and not looking forward to the pain, I actually feel really good about it. I think it's the right step in getting better. I don't believe it's THE answer to everything but I feel like I'm going in the right direction.

John and I are so lucky to live in our hometown where we are surrounded by family and friends who can help with Charlie and my recovery. Sometimes we wonder why we have to be in the situation we're in but it's times like these that we are very grateful to be living with family!

Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers Tuesday if you can!

3 comments:

Em T said...

Good luck! I'll be praying for you.

Jess said...

I had to have the same surgery to remove a rather large cyst. The surgery is very simple and I pretty much felt great the same day. I hope that it all goes well for you as well and you recover quickly! Good luck!

The Flynn's said...

I have/had a lot of these same problems. I had mild endometriosis (sp?) before I got pregnant with Olivia. My doctor told me that I would either have a very hard time getting pregnant or that I would get pregnant and then a lot of times, pregnancy will fix it. I got pregnant with Olivia just fine and haven't had issues with endo... but still gets cysts all the times on my ovaries that rupture. One time recently I was at the church for mutual and had to call Scott to come pick me up because I couldn't move but usually whenever that happens for me, I'm in pain for abt 2 or 3 hours, then I'm fine. Whenever I have ultrasounds or yearly exams, the doctors always finds cysts. The joys of being a woman! :) I have a friend with very, very serious endometriosis and she says the pain isn't too bad, she just hasn't been able to get pregnant, so that's been her biggest struggle! :( Anyway, feel better soon!