Right now I'm working on a script for a romantic comedy. With Valentine's Day this week and romance on my mind, I thought I'd do a list of my favorite "goopy" (meaning, romantic) movies. They are "feel good" movies that leave you feeling wonderful afterwards. I'm not a fan of dramatic romantic movies . . . in fact, I loathe them (I laughed all the way through The Notebook--while my friend sobbed). I'd rather have some laughs, a few happy sniffles (well, I would if I cried at movies), then turn off the DVD player feeling great about life.
Pride and PrejudiceI loved the BBC version of the best novel ever written (lots of people say it, and yes, it's totally true) . . . until I saw Joe Wright's version. I haven't been able to watch that goofy excuse for a Jane Austen adaptation ever since. That version not only dramatized literally every scene in the book, but they even made some up. Joe Wright's version, while smaller on plot, was so much bigger in scope and yes . . . romance. He allows us to see through one character's eyes, which always makes for a more meaningful experience.
The cast in this movie is beyond amazing. Keira Knightley was born to play Elizabeth Bennett (not to mention she was actually the right age--all the people in the BBC version are at least 10 years older than their characters!). Yes, I love Colin Firth, too, ladies, but I think Matthew McFayden is to die for! He lets Keira Knightley steal the show, and frankly, it is her show. And Dame Judi Dench as Lady Catherine DeBurgh? Life is good as long as casts like this exist!
Favorite Scene: Darcy walking across the field in the early morning light with that piano playing in the background. Ooh, I'm melting right now . . .
Fun Fact: Keira Knightley had long relationship with Rupert Friend, the actor who plays Wickham. I'm not sure if they're still together, though . . .
Sense and Sensibility
Yeah, yeah, I know it's another Jane Austen adaptation. But this movie is the exception to the rule that books are always better than their movie adaptations. That's right. Emma Thompson's screenplay is better than the book. Don't believe me? Read the book. It's not that great. But the movie? Well, let's look at the facts . . .
The cast? Kate Winslet. Emma Thompson. Hugh Grant. Alan Rickman (in his best performance to date, and that's saying something). The director? Ang Lee. And if this isn't enough to convince you, just watch it. Everything about it is just sublime. It's one of my top movies, if not the tippy-top.
Favorite Scene: The look on Colonel Brendan's face when Marianne calls his name and tells him "Thank you." (who knew Severus Snape could be so dreamy?) And, Elinor laughing and crying at the same time in that final scene with Edward. Okay, I couldn't pick just one!
Fun Fact: Emma Thompson is married to Greg Wise, the actor who played Willoghby. They met on this movie and became friends. They married years later. Something about these Jane Austen movies . . .
Pretty in Pink
If you've never seen this movie, drop everything, call your girlfriends and have a girls' night in. It is such a fun, funny and surprisingly romantic movie. The plot isn't all that special: poor girl falls for rich boy and problems arise. But it feels oddly refreshing to root for the brave girl with no money, especially in the wake of shows like "Gossip Girl" that would rather spend time exploring the shallowness of rich girl culture. Plus, Molly Ringwald is friggin' awesome. If only I could be as outspoken and confident as her character in this movie . . . and have a best friend like Duckie Dale! This is my favorite movie about high school, for sure.
Favorite Scene: Hands down, Duckie's dance to "Try a Little Tenderness" in the record store. Classic. If a guy danced like that for me, I would drop my date with Blaine in a second!
Fun Fact: Kenny Ortega, the choreographer and director behind all the "High School Musical" movies, choreographed Duckie's dance.

Enchanted
So I know that this is technically a kids' movie, but it is the most romantic movie of recent times in my opinion. I love this movie so much. When I went to see it, I wasn't expecting much. It was so funny, because I totally got swept up in the story. Not to mention, Amy Adams is the stuff! I never liked James Marsden (Prince Edward) until I saw this movie. He is so hilarious here.
Favorite Scene: Obviously, any of the musical numbers (especially "Happy Working Song"), but as far as romance goes, definitely the fight between Giselle and Robert. The part where she touches his chest is pretty hot, especially for a kids' movie! That moment shows how you can evoke tons of feeling in one touch. Sex scenes are so unnecessary.
Fun Fact: Amy Adams was a singing waitress at a murder mystery theater before she got her start.

Notting Hill
Yet another Hugh Grant movie on the list . . . seeing a pattern? I never understood the big deal about Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan or Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. It's probably because I don't like any of the movies those couples are in. For me, as far as chemistry goes, Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant are it. For a movie starring two huge movie stars, it's surprisingly low key and that's what I love about it. All the romantic comedies coming out nowadays (uh, "Bride Wars" anyone?) seem so screechy and obnoxious. What ever happened to movies like this? It's very simple and heartfelt. Not to mention, it's also friggin' hilarious. I laugh out loud every time I watch it.
Favorite Scene: "I'm just a girl . . ." That whole scene just blows me away. It could have been really over-the-top and emotional, but it's quiet and sad. It just shows what great actors those two are, that they can deliver so much without resorting to tears, etc. The montage at the end of the movie is also really sweet . . . the final shot is a tearjerker, for sure.
Fun Fact: The flat with the blue door is real in Notting Hill is real. The screenwriter used to live there! Although the exterior in the movie is real, the inside was shot on a soundstage.
Breakfast at Tiffany's (see top)
If you have never seen this movie, repent now and rent it! It is, to me, one of the most romantic movies ever made. Every time I watch this movie, I think I love it more than the last time I watched it. It's not all about Audrey Hepburn's wardrobe (although fabulous), and actually, not all about Audrey Hepburn. I think George Peppard (Hannibal from A-Team when he was young and hot, hee hee!) is equally as good in this, if not better.
Favorite Scene: "So plenty." My heart just jumps when I think of that line. One of the best lines ever written, in my opinion! If you don't know what I'm talking about, you gotta see it!
Fun Fact: Well, this isn't fun really. There is one negative to this movie. For whatever reason, Holly's landlord is a japanese man . . . played by Mickey Rooney (a caucasian comedian). He wears these really big false teeth, a bad wig and talks with a really bad accent. It's really weird and super rascist. It bothers me every time I watch it. Thankfully, he's not in the movie that much.
This morning, my mom accused me of not being romantic. Well, I guess I showed all of you that I do have a "goopy" side!
The ironic thing about these movies is that they are best enjoyed alone! That's my opinion, anyway . . . So, what are some of your favorite "goopy" movies?
Happy Valentine's Day!
1 comment:
HOLLA!!!! I've loved every one of these movies and would love to have a "goopy" movie night together. I have the Notting Hill soundtrack even and I've been to Notting Hill. I haven't seen Pretty in Pink I guess I must repent.
So more sappy movies for ya, Run Fat Boy Run and The Bridget Jone's Diaries (edited version of course) this one's a must!!!! 10 Things I Hate About You and sad but true my all time fave...the Prince and Me.
Post a Comment