This quote from Elder Ballard has given me more comfort than almost any other words in my life:
There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique.
What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with
the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all
else.
Whew! I love reading that quote. It just puts everything into perspective.
Last year was my first "real" Mothers' Day and I was asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting on motherhood. I was not happy. Me. Giving a talk on motherhood? It didn't help that my mom expressed the same doubt in me giving that talk! But, it actually turned out to be a real blessing. I found so many great talks that were exactly what I needed (not to mention, I got to relax on the stand while John was in and out of the meeting with Charlie). The other day when I was feeling especially "martyrous," I pulled up my talk from last year. If you're feeling a little less than perfect these days, you should read these talks! Even if you aren't a mom yet, these are just great talks for women. I could hear them every Sunday and it still wouldn't be enough.
"Because She is a Mother" by Jeffrey R. Holland
"Daughters of God" by Elder M. Russell Ballard
By the way, Charlie is doing so much better now that we've switched him to soy milk. We're still working out all the kinks of his diet and schedule, but hopefully we can get him back to normal . . . or at least his "normal."
Have a great Mothers' Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment