Thursday, May 21, 2009

SYTYCD!

I'm lost without Lost. It's so sad to see my Lost countdown at over 200 days before the next episode. Not to mention next season is the last season! Even worse, no new episodes of "The Office" or "30 Rock" tonight. But . . . .

"SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" STARTS TONIGHT!!!

I'm a SYTYCD fanatic. I've watched, obsessed, since Day 1. For the past week, I've been stalking YouTube, watching my favorite routines to get pumped for the premiere tonight. Here's a list of my top ten favorite routines from previous seasons.

I apologize for some of these clips . . . a lot of them start with dopey interviews at the beginning. But I chose the ones I did because they were the best quality. So just fast forward through the interviews to the dances!

10. "Sweet Dreams." A jazz routine choreographed by Mandy Moore (noo, not the singer/actress, just an unfortunately named choreographer!) and danced by Neil and Sabra in Season 3.

9. "Hip Hip Chin Chin." A samba routine choreographed by Dmitri (Mr. No-shirt from season 2) danced by Lacey and Danny in Season 3. Lacey has to be one of the most annoying contestants on this show ever . . . but girlfriend can dance.

8. Bollywood routine. I can't remember the choreographer's name, but it was danced by Joshua and Katee in Season 4. The first Bollywood routine of many, I hope, to come.

7. "The Garden." A jazz routine choreographed by Sonja danced by Mark (!) and Courtney in Season 4. I love this freaky routine, man! And Mark is the man, that's all I have to say. I love the artsy, quirky dancers so much more than the athletic ones.

6. "Bleeding Love." A hip-hop routine choreographed by Tabitha and Napoleon danced by Mark (!) and Chelsie in Season 4. I LOVE lyrical hip-hop like this. Probably because I think this is one of the only styles I could pull off!

5. "Mercy." A contemporary routine choreographed by Mia Michaels, danced by Twitch and Katee in Season 4. I smell a conspiracy. I have a hard time believing that pretentious Mia Michaels choreographed this quirky, cool and at times, hilarious routine. I don't think the woman has a funny bone in her body. I have a feeling her BFF Tyce Diorio had some input on this one.
4. "Why." A contemporary routine choreographed by Tyce Diorio danced by Allison and Ivan in Season 2. I hated contemporary dance until I saw this routine and realized how honest it could be . . . it also helped that one of the best couples to ever be on the show performed it.

3. "Boogie Wonderland." A tap routine . . . featuring Nigel Lythgoe! Okay, for you SYTYCD newbies, Nigel is the creator, producer and head judge on the show. He's a 60-something British dude that NEVER shuts up about how he knows everything there is to know about dance. Until last season's finale, we had never seen anything to prove it. This routine took everyone by surprise. I think my mouth hung open for this entire dance! Okay, we get it Nigel. You rock. Although, the geezer couldn't even shut-up while he was dancing! Nigel suggested that all the choreographers should have to perform . . . I hope that he's good on his promise. If Wade Robson comes back this season (he was doing choreography for Kriss Angel's show in Vegas), it will definitely be awesome. Check out this vid of him performing with his group on "Dancing with the Stars" (just for the record, I do not watch that show . . . I found this on YouTube!).

2. "Cabaret Hoover." A jazz routine choreographed by Wade Robson danced by Sara and Jesus in Season 3. Okay, so I know it's not the best performance . . . they are not as "on" as they should be. But, the music is freaky, the dancing is freaky . . . the way I like it! Love this routine!

1. "The Hummingbird and the Flower." A jazz routine choreographed by Wade Robson danced by Hok and Jamie in Season 3. It doesn't get any better than this. Seriously. I don't think anyone could ever outdo this routine or performance.

Wade! Please, come back this season! We need you!

4 comments:

Melissa Hodgen said...

I'm so bummed! My computer is blocking all the links. But, when I get home and we have free access, I'm watching everyone of them. Hope you enjoyed the auditions. We sure did!

Tina said...

Holy Crap!!! It already started? I love SYTYCD, but I totally missed it. :(

I am so excited to start watching it!!!

Laura said...

Obviously, I had to miss the first night but I've already been to the sight and watched a some of the clips. My heart skips beats when I watch this show I get so excited! I'm in agreement with most of your choices. I have to say that I really loved Danny boy from two seasons ago and the routine to apologize. that was the first time i had heard that song and still love it.
yes, wayne please come back! more bollywood. i also love jean-marque and the disco choreographer. i can't think of her name. heck i love this show!!!!!

Laura said...

oh, yeah sabara dominic, make it work season 3. loved that one too!