Wednesday, July 29, 2009

5% of 6,378, Part 2

I mentioned in an earlier post that I submitted two screenplays to the Nicholl Fellowship competition. This competition is "the" contest for screenwriters and is a very big deal. Yesterday, I got an email telling me my "A Piece of Cake" script didn't make it to the quarterfinal round. I was sad but they had a record number of entries this year (6,378) and only 321 made the quarterfinal round. Around 5%.

I was flipping through the channels and saw a special on the Black Dahlia murder, which figures prominently in the other screenplay I submitted. I joked to John that it was a sign my other script made it. I didn't really believe that, but the thought made me curious enough to go check my email again. Sure enough, there was an email from oscars.org in there . . . I knew it. Another rejection. I opened the email and only read one word: "Congratulations!"

I ran screaming down the stairs. "JOHN! JOHN! JOHN!" John came bounding out of the den, his hand fluttering over his heart like some fragile old lady (sorry, John . . . you did!). I yelled at him, "I made it! I made it!" Once he realized no one was in mortal danger, he was jumping up and down with me. It was such a great moment because this was his victory, too. Without his support, this would have never happened.

So I'll include some of the text of the email here for more information:

"Congratulations! You have advanced into the Quarterfinal Round of the 2009 Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting. In so doing, Script Girl is one of only 321 entries to survive the First Round. With a record-breaking 6,380 scripts entered, the initial round was more competitive than in any previous year. To let you know something about the selection process, Script Girl was evaluated by three judges drawn from a diverse group of local film professionals. After scores were tallied, the highest scoring scripts advanced to the Quarterfinals. During the Quarterfinal Round, your script will be read by at least two judges. As was the case in the First Round, these judges will read the scripts without seeing application forms; they will know nothing about you other than what is on your script’s pages. We expect that about 110 to 120 of the Quarterfinal scripts will advance to the Semifinal Round. For a list that will be forwarded to agents, development executives, managers and producers who request it, we shall use the contact information that you have given us."

And that's what it is. I entered not as much for the honor, but to make that list that will be passed around. I hope something will come of this. But even if nothing else happens, I could live off of this achievement for years, really! If I can make the quarterfinal round of this competition, I know I'm doing something right. It makes me dizzy to just think about it. I hunch over my little computer every day, doing my best but never knowing if what I'm doing will survive in the "real world." Now I know! And I can't stop dancing or smiling about it!

4 comments:

Melissa Hodgen said...

AH! That is awesome, wonderful, crazy, etc. Sorry, but I'm not a writer, so that's the best way I can say Congradulations!!!!!!! Can't wait to see your name on the silver screen!

Laura said...

AHHHH! AHHHH! AHHHHH! (screaming,jumping up and down, clapping hands, doing a little dance)
Whoo-hoo! Goooo Autumn! Good luck with the next round. What an amazing feeling.

melanie said...

Congrats! that is so incredible! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. this really gets your name out there! I hope I get to see that script in action one day!

Tina said...

OH MY GOSH!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THE OTHER DAY WHEN I CALLED YOU?!!! That is SOOOOO exciting!!! WAHO WAHO WAHOOOOOO!!! Congratulations, baby! Tell John to give you a big kiss for me!!!!