Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Road Show Recap



So the Road Show has finally come and gone. Everyone put so much work into this little production. Am I insane for all the time and energy I put into it? Maybe a little, but so many blessings came from this experience.

As Stephanie (the director) and I celebrated our victory at Panera last night, we went over all the amazing blessings (and hardships!) that went into this show. I thought I’d recount some of my favorite things about working on this year’s Road Show.

1. The first practice night with the YW . . . It was so much fun to play choreographer that I think I’m going to start taking dance classes!

2. Our first rehearsal with the Primary was really rough. A lot of the kids didn’t want to be there and it was a hot mess. I ended everything 15 minutes early because I was so frustrated. I was like, “LET’S HAVE A PRAYER AND GO OUTSIDE AND EAT YOUR POPSICLES!” After all the kids ran outside I went back into the room to clean up. Kyler and Miles were in the back of the room, still working on making some wigs.
“Don’t you guys want popsicles?”
“Nah, we only have 2 more to do. We’ll get some when we’re finished.”
It took all I had to not dissolve into tears on the spot. I’ve been in Primary a long time and I have never seen 11-year-old boys as kind and faithful as those two are.
3. Jared and Alex’s flips. Those guys have no fear!
4. My $3.88 costume. It took several washings before it smelled normal (that America’s Thrift Store is so nasty!) but come on. That jumpsuit is the crap! The label says the brand is “Pance.“ Yes. My mom added the silver butt cape. In the Thriller dance, we bend over and walk away from the audience and let’s just say . . . I’ve got much back, so she was kind enough to make me a cover-up so the jumpsuit was a little more, er, family friendly!
5. Zac Mendenhall getting sick the day of . . . Only to show up at the last minute and save the show. What a hero!
6. When the Primary kids strutted onstage in their disco gear, the whole audience started clapping, whistling and laughing--the exact response I had hoped for! People went wild when the kids started dancing to “Disco Inferno.” The next day I told the kids about the great response they got . . . the girls were a little too pleased they got whistles!
7. One of the best things was Tina showing up to watch the show! It was so sweet. My parents and John's parents weren't able to come, so I was a little bummed no one was going to be there to watch it. Then, I get a call from Tina asking for directions! Ahhh, you have no idea how good that made me feel. You're the bestest, Tina! You make me all warm and gooey inside!

Tonight is Wednesday night and I already miss that fact that I won’t get to spend it with the youth and Primary kids. I love all those kids so much. They make me laugh and I’m truly inspired by their good attitudes and spirits. It’s been so fun for them to run up and talk to me at church about random things, to get instant messaged on facebook and to even have some of them yell “SISTER FLYNN!” at me in public. I hope that even though we won’t get to hang out as much, that from now I can keep that fun relationship with all those kids. Love you guys!
This experience has been amazing for me personally. It’s no secret the past few years have been extremely difficult for our family. There’s been a lot of financial and health-related struggles. I’ve kind of built a shell because I’ve been embarrassed about these things. It’s been really hard. I feel like this show helped me get a little bit of the “old” me back. It brought me some new confidence and reminded me that I do have worth. It’s still a struggle to feel good about myself a lot of the time, but it’s great to have these good experiences. I had so many feelings like this show would work out wonderfully--and it turned out better than I ever could’ve imagined. That gives me faith that other things I hope for will turn out fine as well.
Overall, the best thing about this show has to be the feeling it left everyone. I could tell everyone felt something more than just the spirit of fun when the show was over. On Sunday as I talked to people about the show, everyone’s faces were shining. Someone told me the show brought a sense of family and togetherness back to our branch. I told Stephanie that and she said that her setting apart blessing said that was the purpose of the show. “By small and simple means . . . “
Talents are such a blessing and gift from Heavenly Father. If you ever have a chance to share them, do it! Do it even if you’re afraid or unsure. Your family and those around you will be blessed, I promise you. We were truly guided and protected by Heavenly Father during this whole experience . . . and you will too, if you’re willing to extend yourself and help in whatever way you’re needed.
By the way, a video IS coming . . . John’s a little edit-happy right now!

4 comments:

Tina said...

Me want video! That's an experience I want to relive over and over again!!! Good job, baby!

P.S. I put a little blurb about it on my blog and I wrote that you were director. I thought you were director for some reason, so I will have to change that. Sorry for the editorial mistake. :P

Melissa Hodgen said...

What a roller coaster.
I'm on pins and needles waiting for the video...primary and disco = classic.

Laura said...

can't wait for the video!
thanks for the great words. they're true. it's just hard to remember sometimes. i find it's easy to know i have talents but get intimidated by others that have "better" ones. but no doubt that Heavenly Father makes a way for us SAHM to still the "other" things that we love.
ps. LOVE the reunion set-a-date card. you're the bomb, baby!

melanie said...

ok, my last comment didn't appear, so sorry if you're getting this twice.

that show looked like so much fun! Usually when I think of church road shows I think of no participation and just one or two really awkward performances. But you guys had a lot of really great looking groups! I can't wait to see the video. Good job!