Saturday, February 6, 2010

New Look and Diagnosis-sis-sees-sis (whatever the plural is for "diagnosis")

I finally got around to updating the look of the blog! It's such a pain but I'm happy with it now. Sorry there are no pictures for this post . . . feeling kinda lazy.

My dad is doing really well after his prostate surgery. He got good news this week that he probably won't have to have any radiation. There is still a chance he may have to in a few weeks but overall, things went really well and he is doing much better. Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes!

As for me and my marathon sinus infection, I finally got to see an ENT. Can someone please explain to me why it takes so much time to get an appointment for a specialist? Obviously, if you have to see a specialist, it's serious. So why is the soonest appointment I could get two weeks away from when I needed it? ANYWAY . . .

Dr. Fowler (my ENT) examined my nose and was surprised to find something. I wish I could tell you what it was but he had an outburst of medical jargon. So, apparently something was wrong with the inside of my nose. He showed me my CT scan and pointed out some abnormalities in my sinus. There were a couple of areas that could be cysts but nothing major. He said the abnormalties could be causing the infection but he didn't want to jump into surgery just yet. So he put me on a month of antibiotics to try to kill it. He's also made me do a blood test to check my thyroid because of the extreme fatigue I've had. My dad has Graves' Disease so it would make sense that I could be having thyroid trouble . . . only, my dad has hyperthryroidism, meaning, he CAN'T sleep because he's so jumpy.

All in all, it felt good to finally have a little more information. Mostly I feel Dr. Fowler just played it safe, which is good. He was ruling out other possibilities before we get really serious. I know it's a good thing but at the same time, part of me just wants it all over with. True, $10 of antibiotics beats the price of surgery but I'm sick of being sick. I've felt like I've had the flu for over two months now and it's getting really old. I mean, I took 2 weeks of steroids and that didn't even get rid of it. I doubt some antibiotics will. So right now it's just about playing the waiting game and being patient. At least I'm doing something that may help, unlike the 2 week waiting game just trying to get in with the ENT. I guess all I can do is make the best of it and try to find out what I'm supposed to learn from this. I know patience is the biggie but it also has taught me to be grateful for what I have (or had). I'll get back to you when I figure out the rest of it!

2 comments:

Tina said...

I love the new look. Charlie is a man of many faces. :)

Good news about your dad. I hope things keep going well for him.

And the waiting game... no fun. That stinks, but hopefully they will figure things out soon.

Oh and I don't know about selling cakes. Brian says I should sell them too, but I just don't feel like they look professional enough yet. I would feel really guilty selling someone a crap cake. :P

The Flynn's said...

I like the new blog look. Cute! Hope you can get to the bottom of your sinus issues.