Sunday, October 24, 2010

October

I've been doing so well updating my BiblioBags Blog (say that 3 times fast), and I've been totally abandoning this one. I'll try to do better . . .

Recently, one of my dreams came true. Even though I never looked forward to being a mom (for awhile I didn't even want kids!), I did have a soft spot for one thing . . . superhero pajamas. Maybe it's because I grew up between two brothers, maybe it's because I'm a nerd, I don't know. I've just always thought toddler pajamas with capes were the cutest thing ever. I've wanted to get Charlie some for a long time. John, my mom and I looked all over for some Batman PJs with a cape to no avail. So, his b-day went by and no PJs. Then, a couple of weeks later, I was in Target and TA-DA! I found one pair in his size. He loves these so much, I often have to throw a sweatshirt over the shirt so it looks like he's wearing clothes when we're in public! He refuses to take them off once he has them one. One downside is the cape thing freaks me out as a mom. I've heard all kinds of scary strangulation stories so he's not allowed to wear the cape to bed. Ah, all the insane ways moms imagine their kids getting hurt . . . it's a wonder we're not all institutionalized!

I forgot to mention earlier about Charlie's 3 year old checkup. Our old "Dr. Paul" had moved away so I was pretty bummed because I liked him a lot. This time we got to see Dr. Jones and wow, I love her! Charlie does to . . . as soon as she walked in the room he was talking her ear off. I think some people just have a great spirit about them and they are meant to work with kids--she's definitely one of those people. Charlie can be shy sometimes with new people but he liked her right away.

We found out he is in the 25th percentile for weight and height. I was surprised he was in the 25th for weight since he is so "skeeny." I thought he would've been much lower. I worry about him since he's a 3T in height but still probably 18M in the waist! The doctor said not to worry, he'll catch up. For what Charlie Man lacks in weight in height (WARNING: obnoxious proud parent alert . . . this is about to get annoying!) he makes up in smarts. Dr. Jones said that she had never heard a 3 year old speak so clearly.

"What did you do to get him to enunciate so well?" she asked.

My eloquent response? "Uhhhh . . . I don't know." (John says he thinks it's all the TV he watches. He's probably right but I'm not going to tell the doc that!)

She continued to say he's far beyond his milestones and added that "he's got an I.Q. of a million." Can you tell why I like this doctor? : )


On October 18th, John and I celebrated our 9th anniversary this year! And as such, we are old and lazy and just went to a movie. John was a good sport and went to see "The Social Network" with me. He didn't want to see it but ended up liking it. I loved it and was super impressed with it. It's a good one! And yes, Justin Timberlake can act! : ) I want to see it again . . .


My mom made a couple of cakes for Haley Blackburn and Seth Wolfe's wedding. I really wanted to help (even though I have no cake decorating skillz whatsoever) and my mom let me cut out black fondant flowers. It was a lot of fun . . . and Charlie appreciated them. As you probably know, fondant tastes disgusting. It's corn syrup and powdered sugar. Ew. For whatever reason, Charlie thinks it's delicious. We had to hide the flowers from him because he kept eating them . . . as evidenced by his black teeth. (I'll post the pictures of the cakes on my crafty blog soon . . . )

I'm obsessed with all those cake shows on TV. I don't really have an interest in making cakes . . . just making them pretty. Baking and cutting and kneading is too much work . . . . I just want to do the fun part! My mom said that she and I could learn to make sugar paste flowers together for her next cake in November. Yay!

One final breakthrough for Charlie this month . . . he's an artist! John and I have been a little disappointed because he's never shown much of an interest in drawing, painting or coloring. One day, I was in the bathroom and I hear Charlie yell, "Mom! I made you a temple!" I got out and came downstairs to find a box of my sharpest tools spread out on the table. Just as I was about to freak out, Charlie smiled and pointed at this creation. "See? It's a temple!" he said proudly. I was impressed! The tweezers positioned at an angle really did it for me. I shooed him away, far away, from all my sharp stuff (luckily he didn't cut himself) and had to take a picture.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Oh now I totally want to see that movie. I love me some Justin... which is funny because I despised him in high school when every teenage girl had a crush on him. I think I just hated his curly hair fro. Now that he has that under control, I like him a lot better.

I wish I lived with your mom so she could teach me to make cakes. I am so jealous.

Oh and I love the black toothy smile from Charlie. What a cutie. :)