Wednesday, November 26, 2008

October 2008: Part II


Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday. I've always loved monsters and scary movies, so of course, this is my favorite time of year. My favorite thing about Halloween is pumpkin carving. Call me a geek, but I love it. I take it very seriously. I never use templates. It's cheating. Not to mention artistically cheap! I look on the internet for a picture of "my subject" and then I freehand the design on the pumpkin with a red Sharpie. Then, I just carve away.


This year, I think I really outdid myself. There was no question of who I was going to carve this year. It had to be the Joker. If you have not seen The Dark Knight yet, repent. It comes out on DVD in December. Anyway, I used a new technique this year. I usually do it all by hand, using various sharp things to carve out what I want. But this year (heh, heh) John let me use his Dremel tool! It was so crazy awesome. I used to shape his hair, which would have taken literally, an hour to do with a normal scraper or knife. I also used it to smooth out bumps, so it looks way better than my other pumpkins. It's not a perfect pumpkin, but I'm so happy with it. Whatdya' think?


Some people who came to the house to trick or treat actually took a picture of the pumpkin! I won scariest pumpkin at our Trunk or Treat. Some little twit accused me of using a template behind my back. It's a good thing I didn't hear it. I'd have to show him the disappearing pencil magic trick. If you didn't get that reference, repent. Watch The Dark Knight.

Okay, enough bragging. For our Trunk or Treat, I dressed up as the Cat in the Hat. I should've taken a picture, but I was too busy trying to set up our trunk. (We won funniest btw: it was a zombie bride and groom with a sign that said, "Just Buried." Awwww.)

Charlie had the best costume ever. Have you seen a cuter Sith in your life?
We even taught him to breathe heavy like Vader. My sister started to sing the Darth Vader theme (you know, "duh duh duh duh-duh-duh") and he sang it right back! Too bad I didn't get it on video. Dangit! He loved the Trunk or Treat. He was literally running all over the parking lot screaming because he was so excited. He kicked and screamed when we had to go home.

On the actual Halloween, we just stayed at home. We dressed Charlie up again for fun. He's a little too little to get candy.
That night, I did my brother and his friend's hair for a party. They were going as Ron Burgandy and Rebecca Corningstone from Anchorman. I should've taken a "before" picture just so you can see all the work I put into it. They looked so hilarious.
I really enjoyed making them up. It gave me an idea. For most of my childhood, I wanted to be a special effects makeup artist. You know, those people that glue latex pieces on actors' faces? Weird, I know, but anyway . . . then I found out you had to be good at chemistry. Yeah, that dream died real quick. Anyway, how cool would it be to start a business where people would pay me to do their makeup for Halloween parties? I would love to do that. Although, I probably couldn't do that many people in one day . . . and most people would want to be made up on Halloween. And then I wouldn't get to enjoy my favorite holiday. Hmmm . . . maybe that idea needs tweaking . . .

No comments: