How things have changed in the past year! I can remember feeling such a relief when Charlie turned one. His first year was a very painful and difficult for me, physically and emotionally. It was survival, pure and simple. As soon as he turned one, however, everything changed.
This year, Charlie has grown in so many ways. Even though raising a toddler (in my parents’ house, mind you) is not easy, I feel so much more comfortable. I’m enjoying this ride now, not just enduring it. He has had such a bright, happy personality ever since he was little. He’s always looking for an audience to show off his newest dance move, a new song or sometimes, he just wants someone to tease.
While he can be a real rascal sometimes, he also is extremely kind for such a small guy. He loves giving hugs and kisses. He has always been what my mom calls “huggy.” When he’s tired, he’ll crawl in my lap and give me the hugest hug he can with his skinny little arms. He’ll just bury his head in my shoulder and say, “Mmmmmaaawwwmmmm,“ over and over again. I love it! (and yes, he calls me “Mom.“ Everything is “No, Mom.“ “Yeah, Mom.“) His baby blessing said that he would have a kind heart. One day in church, a woman watched Charlie playing with another kid in the foyer. She told me, “He has a kind heart, just like his dad.” I could have burst into tears right there, because it is so true. I hope that he can grow up to be a truly kind and sincere man just like his dad. There aren’t many of those around!
For the first time, I feel a little sad he’s getting older. He’s at such a cute (albeit, destructive!) age and I would just like to put him on pause. On his birthday, I just want to go over two (since he’s two) of the many reasons why I love Charlie so much.
1. His love of music. Charlie can never get enough of singing and dancing. He‘ll spin in circles and sing his own composition that goes like this: “Singin’ and DANCIN’! Dancin’ and SINGIN’!” This video of him jamming still makes me laugh so hard I cry . . . I think he was just a little over a year old in this video. The kid has SOUL! (I’ve had several people ask me . . . Yes, we added the David Bowie song on top of this . . . He was actually dancing to “American Boy” by Estelle and Kanye West) Now his dancing consists of spasmodic toddler jumps and rolling his head like he’s possessed. I have faith he’ll get that soul back in his dancing!
Lately, he’s been singing nonstop . . . What’s so cute about it is that he sings on key. One day, I was singing the “Indoors” song from Spongebob. Out of nowhere, Charlie chimes in and sings the last “Ee-in-DOORS!” pitch perfect. John and I about died laughing. Another time, we were in the car and “Pokerface” came on. A few hours later, we were home and Charlie was playing with his cars. I walk by and no joke, I hear him singing, “Puh-puh-puh-face, puh-puh-puh-puh-puh face!” to himself.
2. I’m loving how much he’s talking now. He’s a complete magpie. Forgive me for this random analogy, but . . . I’ve been reading a lot of Harry Potter lately. Anyway, I always thought it was lame how Harry could understand Parseltongue (that is, snake language), but not realize he was listening to hissing rather than English. It’s a plot device, I know, but it still bugged me. Well, in a way, I think Charlie speaks Parseltongue . . . I know what he’s saying (or trying to say) most of the time, but he’s pretty unintelligible to everyone else a lot of the time.
Even though he’s only been as far as Atlanta, he sounds like a man of the world. Example? He has Scottish, French, British and Australian accents. “Yes” is “yesshhh” (he’s a mini Sean Connery), “spider” is “Spy-DEH”, “Harry Potter” sounds like “Arry Pot-TAH” and “No way!” is “No woy!” (Okay, in all fairness, he has evolved . . . He says “No way” the American way, now.)
Last week he said his first prayer. John told Charlie to start with, “Dear Heavenly Father.” Charlie did and then immediately launched into a good two minute diatribe about “Dad” and “John.” He then ended, “Amen!” It was so cute.
Your such a big boy, Charlie! I love you so much and hope today is a great day for you!
4 comments:
That is the cutest, sweetest post ever without making me want to hurl. What a cute boy. Sounds like he has the kindness of his father and the spunk of his mother!
Happy Birthday Charlie!!!
Happy birthday Charlie! And congrats to you on making it to 2 years! those little skinny armed hugs make it so worth it!
so cute. 2 is a fun and somewhat destructable age for sure! i hope he had a great birthday.
btw, it's called mommytongue...and you'll be translating for about another 6 months. no matter, communication makes life so much easier.
Happy belated Birthday little guy! Don't ware your parents out ; )
Post a Comment