Sorry I've been slacking on the blogging lately. No real reason or excuse. I just haven't been doing it. I'm really behind so hopefully I'll be posting a lot to catch up.
The past few days have been rough. A sweet lady from my branch passed away suddenly this week. The funeral is this Saturday. She left behind a 13 year old son. I cannot even begin to imagine what he must be going through. The Relief Society asked for memories of Sister Friday so they could compile a book for her son, Logan. This is what I wrote:
"I've talked to a lot of friends over the past couple of days about Judy. They all say the same thing, "We were really close." Judy was just that kind of person. She loved everyone and went out of her way to care for those around her.
What I'll remember most about Judy is her trust. I babysat Logan as a baby and toddler constantly. I was only a teenager at the time and she treated me like I was the best babysitter ever. I loved Logan so much and she knew that. When I turned 16, I had a huge birthday party. She brought Logan to the party (he was probably only 2 and a half at the time) so he could "give" me a present just from him: it was a bunny holding a sign saying, "Somebunny loves you." She remembered that as a young girl I collected rabbits. I was so touched by that present. It was my favorite from that birthday.
At my baby shower, there was a frame for everyone to write a note to Charlie. Sister Friday said this, "Charlie, Your Mom used to be my son's babysitter! I know that she's great with babies--you're a lucky boy. Love, Sister Friday." That message made me cry because I was terrified of taking care of a baby. Frankly, I'm not great with babies . . . but she thought I was. That meant the world to me.
Judy was Charlie's first Nursery leader and he loved her. And how she babied him! Every time we would come to get him from the Nursery, without fail, she'd be holding him. When we would wake Charlie up on Sunday and tell him it was time to go to church, he would ask, "Friday?" "Yes," we'd tell him. "You're going to see Sister Friday." I'm so grateful he was able to see her one last time at Tanner's baptism. She came right up to him and gave her a hug. "Hi, Friday," he said. I'm so glad I got to witness that."
There's actually more to that story about the baptism. I didn't include it because it had to do more about me than Judy. That weekend, the weekend after Thanksgiving, Charlie and I were supposed to go up to my sis-in-law Laura's house. I was really looking forward to it (and still am--we got to reschedule, girl!), since John was going to be out of town. Then I found out Tanner (Judy's grandson . . . well, step-grandon, but it's all the same) was getting baptized. This baptism was very special because Tanner had waited so long to be baptized. I felt really strongly that I needed to be there. I didn't quite understand the feeling. I love Tanner and I'm in the Primary Presidency, but I knew he wouldn't be shattered if I wasn't there. I didn't feel like I was THAT important. But the feeling persisted and I obeyed. So I went to the baptism and it was sweet. And as I related in the memory, Judy got to hug Charlie and say hi, but I thought nothing of it. The night we heard the news about Judy, I understood why I had to be at the baptism. It was so I could see her and Charlie together one last time. Even though Charlie won't remember her, I needed to see him hug her and talk to her one last time.
I cannot express how grateful that makes me feel. It's such a small thing, but it gives me so much comfort and closure. I'm just amazed at how much Heavenly Father knows us and loves us. Even though we all wish Judy was still here, there have been so many blessings surrounding her passing. My story is just a small part of the blessings imparted this week. It seems like everyone has a story to tell where things were put in order before she passed away. It's so easy to see the sadness and tragedy . . . but if we can look beyond that, there is so much love and gratitude to be had for Heavenly Father and His plan. I'll miss "Sister Friday" and I'm really not looking forward to this funeral. It'll be hard to see her family there without her. But I know that she and her family are taken care of and that they'll be together again.
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That was beautifully written. When I think of Sister Friday I think of the words "classy" and "elect lady". She is the kind of person you hope you grow up to be like. What a wonderful woman!
She sounds like a great lady. Sorry for the loss of your friend! I hope she had a lovely funeral and I hope her family (especially her little son) is okay. Nothing can prepare you for the loss of a parent.
Post a Comment