Sunday, January 10, 2010

Snappy Suit and Health Updates


Well, Charlie FINALLY got to wear the adorable suit my mom gave him to wear on the Sunday before Christmas. Today was the first time he's been to church in 4 weeks because of that flu. He was not too cooperative (as you can tell) with the picture . . . he was mad he couldn't stay outside and play in the snow. I'm very proud of this suit, not only because it's adorable but because I had to make so many alterations. Charlie is in 24 month/2T stuff . . . but I think his waist is still 9 month size. I'm not joking. I had to take in the waist of these pants (ELASTIC pants) 5 inches. Then, I had to take up the hems of the pants AND the jacket (which is velveteen, BTW! So cute!). Then, he doesn't wear it for a month and what do I find? He sprouted AGAIN! So he was kind of wearing floods today. Nice herringbone tweed floods . . . but floods nonetheless.

Today John was released from the YM presidency and Scoutmaster to be in the Elders' Quorum. John is bummed because he really loves the YM . . . I'll admit I'm doing dances with joy that Scouts OVER! I know this calling will be time consuming too, but I actually think he'll be home more because he won't be on a campout or basketball game every weekend!

For those of you who don't know, my dad was diagnosed with skin and prostate cancer last month. He has surgery for the skin cancer on his face tomorrow. Next week will be the biggie, the prostate surgery. It's been a very hard time for him and I just hope you guys will remember him and my mom in your prayers. Both of these cancers were caught very early and so everything is very positive. My brother gave my dad a blessing that was very comforting and reassuring. I know he'll be okay, but I think life as he knows it has completely changed and he's trying to adjust . . . all while he's trying to take care of everyone else's needs like he always does.

I guess it's time I update everyone on what's going on with me. As I've complained constantly on this blog and facebook, I've had a virus for a month and a half. I've never been sick like this. This was worse than when I had mono! I would get to feeling better for a day or two, then it would slam me all over again. It was literal, can't raise my head off my pillow sick. I finally got the doctor 2 weeks ago to find I had yet another sinus infection. My doctor said that since this is my third one in under 6 months, that I should probably get a CT scan. Ugh. We're still paying for my gut scan from a few months ago! I have a cyst on my sinus I've known about for 10 years. My doctor back then said it wasn't a big deal at all. When I told this doctor, he was like, "Uh, no. It's a VERY big deal." He's afraid it's spread and not allowing my sinuses to drain correctly. So, I'm really praying for a speedy recovery so I don't have to have surgery. Ugh. Just the thought of someone doing surgery up my nose icks me out!

As far as the tummy issues go, it's going okay. For those who don't know, I have IBS. It's not a disease, just some weird condition tons of people have that no one really knows how to treat or "cure." Everyone's symptoms are different. I have a tricky type that means I have ALL the symptoms, not just some. My digestive system can swing one way, then turn around and do the opposite in the same day, even the same hour. It's very unpredictable and causes a lot of pain and cramping, which is the worst part. I was diagnosed in 2006, but I've had symptoms my whole life. They've gotten ten times worse since I had Charlie, though. Oh, did I mention stress is the major trigger of my symptoms? Makes sense, right? LOL. Anyway, I'm on a few medications to help the symptoms, but nothing truly gets "rid" of it. Last year, I decided to take control and be on a super strict diet limiting anything that remotely caused me discomfort. I only eat meat a couple of times a week. The only dairy I consume is low fat milk. No fried foods, nothing spicy, no desserts, no whole grain wheat or barley, no orange juice, nothing with MSG in it (that makes me the sickest . . . you wouldn't believe how many things contain MSG), and the list goes on. I eat a lot of the same stuff and it can be bland. BUT, I have yet to give up buttered toast and sugar cereal. I eat a lot of cereal (not wheat cereal, obviously), mainly oatmeal. Sometimes I like it because I'm pretty picky. It's easy to whip something together because it takes less time. But I have yet to figure out how to travel. I can occaisionally eat the noodle soup at Panera, but some days I can't even stomach that. Since I've had the flu and I did really well over the holidays . . . I broke. I ate fried chicken (and GRAVY! Liquid death!) for dinner the other night and got SO sick. See, I had made my dad his favorite meal before his surgery . . . I have a feeling he'll be milking this cancer thing for a long time just so he can get me to make him fried chicken! Why must I be cursed to make such good fried chicken?! Why???!!! :) Anyway, I've found when I'm not feeling great, my willpower isn't strong. But I think I've done pretty well on the diet. I've lost over 30 pounds since I started it a little over a year ago, so that was a HUGE perk.

A couple of months ago I had a CT scan (after having horrible abdominal pains that were really scary). Two grandmothers of mine died from colon cancer. My dad's mom spent the last decade of her life in bed, basically. She had to have several feet of small intestine removed and lived off of pain medication and baby food. Obviously, that is always on my mind when I have extra bad symptoms. I know my family history and I worry about it. So I had the scan.

That showed one of my medecines was not doing what it should be doing. After my scan, my doctor gave me some different medication to try. That was very hard, because I had done the same routine for 3+ years. The new plan is less stringent, but I don't like it. I like having the doc tell me exactly how many pills to take when, etc. This new plan is like, see how you feel and judge by then. It's different, but I think it's a better approach. I just have to get used to it. Every plan has pros and cons so I'm trying to be positive about it. I know I'm stuck with this, so I'll just do what I have to and be grateful for what I have. I do see this condition as a hidden blessing. I used to feel so guilty every fast sunday because I can't fast without getting really sick. And you parents out there know that you can never afford to be sick with a little one. I've had to be a lot more strict with myself so I can take care of Charlie. I was thinking about this the other day and I realized that even though I'm not fasting, I'm living the law of the fast every day. I can't tell you how many temptations confront me on a daily basis. Hello, I live with my mom and those of you who know my mom know what a good cook she is . . . and that she's what we call a "treat truck." The house is never without at least one dessert hanging around. To be able to withstand those temptations makes me feel stronger and more in control, even though I don't have much control over this condition. Obviously, I'm happy to have all the weight gone, but I'm happier about how I feel. Because I eat so healthy and low fat, my body feel BETTER. Even if I get pains everyday, I can tell a difference in my overall well being, if that makes sense. It's not the end of the world if you can't eat chocolate. And that's empowering to me! There are more important things in life. It's also helped me with Charlie's tummy problems . . . since I know pretty much what any food can do to your colon, I've been able to keep him pretty healthy over the past 2 months. He has yet to see a GI, but I'm putting it off as long as I can. Right now, I'm very happy with how he's been. The kid could stand to gain some weight, but I'm sure it'll all come in time. I'm going to try to live a healthy life, especially since all of the cancer that runs in my family. Sometimes I'm going to fall off the wagon (and into the toilet like I did this weekend), and that's okay, as long as I keep trying.

2 comments:

Hannah Ashmore said...

Wow! Dont you just love health issues. Stay positive (I need to work on that). I will keep you and your dad in my prayers.

Maria said...

Autumn, I am so glad to see your blog…you are good at it! Cute suit! Gotta love those growth spurts. I just tried the “rolling of the pants” method and then Jonathan basically quit growing (that is what happens when you don’t ever eat!). Christopher who is 20 months younger weighs the same as Jonathan! :)
That is too funny that John went from YM to Elder’s Quorum, Jason did too. He was also just a little bummed because he loved working with the YM and they loved him. Also, I think as Elder’s Quorum president he is out more than when he was YM president. I am sure the fact that Jason organized flag football every Saturday morning had something to do with it. :)
I had no idea about all the health issues in your family! I hope everything goes well with the surgeries and treatments. We will keep ALL of you guys in our prayers, and I liked reading the updates. Way to stay positive! And…30 lbs…that is awesome! What amazing willpower you have! You are quite an inspiration! As I was reading all the stuff you are doing with eating, it relit the fire under me. Since we have moved into our house and I finally have a kitchen I have been doing a lot of baking…NOT GOOD for any of us!! But, I have also been working on figuring out how to use our food storage, varieties of dry beans, white and red wheat, dried apples, dry milk…etc. Maybe I will switch my focus to that rather than making “yummies” which the boys love to help me with. :)