Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chattin' with Charlie

This post is dedicated to my delightfully deranged son and his hilarious quotes. Every other status I put on Facebook is something Charlie has said because he is so funny. He keeps me in a constant state of entertainment and worry.

One of Charlie's girl cousins left her headband here. Every time he plays "hoops," he has to strap it on his head like this. Every. Time. I took this picture the other day and told him to make a "cool sports' guy face." This is what he came up with:

The bathroom is right across the hall from Charlie's room, where John and I also have our computers. We usually bum around on our computers, checking email, etc. while he plays in the bath. One night, John walked in the bathroom to get Charlie out of the bath. Charlie wasn't done playing, and yelled, "No, Dad! Go check your email!"


Another bath related story . . . earlier this week, Charlie called to me saying he was ready to get out. Here's how that conversation went:


Charlie: Wanna go downstairs, smack Mom and play cars.


Me: What? You want to smack me?


Charlie: And play cars. As I've mentioned before, (as as can be witnessed in this video) Charlie has a real problem with the term, "gentleman." Of course, everyone in my family loves to tease him about being a gentleman because he HATES being called one (or told to act like one!). One day, we asked him if various people in our family were gentlemen. He said yes, Papa was a gentleman and Uncle Paul was a gentleman. I asked if my brother Ethan was gentleman. Charlie's response: "No. He just a man."


My child is not yet 3 and I've already cursed him with body issues. He's not the greatest eater and has always been very skinny. Being a mom, I worry about it all the time. I would call him "Skeeny-skeeny" when he was a baby ("skeeny" is smaller than skinny, for those of you not familiar with my weird mom language . . . is it only me that says totally bizarre things to their kids out of nowhere?). Now, any time Charlie is naked or in just a diaper he proudly proclaims, "Look at me, I'm skinny!"


On the subject of eating . . . yesterday, John was trying to get Charlie to eat a snack. He told him he had to eat to have energy. Charlie replied, "I don't like energy. It makes me sad."


Being inspired by this pic of him randomly worshipping some pagan god of his own creation in the front yard (seriously, for whatever reason, he knelt on the ground and was throwing his hands up and down like he was an extra from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) . . . I'll bring up some Charlie-style blasphemy. Please tell me my child isn't the only one that says these things . . .
One night, John was reading to Charlie from a "Book of Mormon" picture book. Charlie saw a picture of Captain Moroni and said, "Jesus is Batman!"


A Charlie breakfast prayer: "Heavenly Father, thanky this day, thanky Lucky Charms, they get soggy, Amen."


One day I was trying to get Charlie to take his nap . . . but he wanted to watch "Toy Story" (his latest obsession). I told him he could watch it AFTER his nap. Something came up and he didn't get to watch it. That night, it was scripture time. Sometimes we'll let Charlie hold the scriptures and let him "read" them. That night, they went like this: "And it came to pass, watch 'Toy Story' after nap." He read that "verse" about three more times, I guess to drive the point home that I didn't keep my promise! (He ALWAYS starts his "scriptures" with "And it came to pass"! At least he's retained something . . . )


A couple of weeks ago, we were in the car and Charlie was saying all kinds of funny stuff. John goes, "Wow, you're full of one-liners, aren't you buddy?" Charlie, feeling the need to up the ante and set the record with 3 one-liners in a row, answers, "WHAT?! What you talking 'bout? Oh, brother . . ."


My mom put these sunglasses in Charlie's Valentine's Day bag (can you tell she only has one grandson?). He wore them most of the day for 2 whole days. I really think he thought they made him look cool . . . I need to stop listening to Lady Gaga I guess . . . One day about a month ago, I was in the kitchen and hummed the first few notes of "Bad Romance." Suddenly, one room over I hear Charlie yell, "CAUGHT IN A BAD ROMANCE"! He also sings the "rah rah" nonsense part. I'm a stellar mom, huh?


Charlie is wacky but can be very thoughtful and sweet. Over the past couple of weeks, he's had some really bad temper tantrums. But every time, he'll apologize literally an hour (or more) later. He's said to both John and I after he's thrown a fit, "Sorry Dad (or Mom). I sorry I get mad." Isn't that sweet? I didn't realize someone that little could remember something like that, not to mention that what he did wasn't right.


John has started taking Charlie on hikes through the woods and he LOVES it. John took him down to Rainbow Lake (a big hiking spot up here) yesterday. Last night, as John was rocking him before bed all was quiet. Suddenly, Charlie says, "Thanks for taking me to the woods, Daddy."


Another night before bed, John told Charlie, "You're my little buddy." Charlie said, "You're my big Daddy."


Ah, how can you not love this kid?

2 comments:

Tina said...

Okay this post is the most hilarious thing ever. I about peed in my pants a few times. He must keep you guys rolling all the time!

Laura said...

This is so funny! I love kids and the things they come up with. I think it helps remind us the tantrums aren't the only thing even though you are ready to stangle them.
What's really funny is to read all this and Charlie won't even talk around me. That little booger!