Sunday, May 22, 2011

Atlanta Temple Open House

Back in April, John took a Friday off so we could attend the Atlanta Temple Open House. It's been closed for 2 years for renovations and they were having an open house for the public. That meant that Charlie could go inside. Originally, we were not planning on going. I was having (as usual) health issues and really didn't want to drag a 3 year old through an hour tour where he had to be quiet. At church one Sunday, John felt really strongly we needed to go. The day we had to leave, I got really sick. I felt miserable and really didn't feel like going. I decided to take one for the team and just go. If we really needed to go, it'd work out.

We got a nice hotel just a mile from the temple . . . John has a lot of points since he travels so much so we got the room for free! Charlie was very excited to stay in a hotel (he was too little to remember the last time he did). John got one with a living room, thinking Charlie could sleep in the fold out bed. Um, yeah. That didn't work. In the end, all 3 of us wound up in the (thankfully) king size bed. For a few moments (and a know this sounds strange), it really felt like heaven to me. We still live with my parents and so it's hard sometimes for the three of us to feel like our own family. I felt so happy to just be with my boys. Of course, Charlie didn't fall asleep until 2 a.m. and proceeded to wake up several times in the night screaming nonsense. He's a horrible sleeper at home and I guess the change of scenery really messed him up. Oh well, moving forward . . .

We made it to the open house! It seemed like a miracle to me since I was feeling so sick. To protect the new flooring, everyone had to wear plastic "booties" on their feet. Charlie refused to wear them. I have yet to decide if this was a fashion decision (he really loves his saddle shoes) or just a toddler's predisposition to be difficult for no reason. (Ironically, when I asked him the other day what he liked best about the temple, he said, "Everyone wearing those white bodies." He meant booties. I hope.) So, we had to carry the boy through the whole thing. I never thought I'd say this but that kid has gotten heavy! We had to take turns hauling him through the temple. He was pretty good at being quiet and whispering.

I personally was struck at the feeling walking through the temple. The prophet had not dedicated the temple for the use of ordinances yet so I expected it to seem just like a pretty building inside. I was overwhelmed by the feeling of the Spirit walking through the temple, especially with Charlie. I just had the undeniable feeling that this was the Lord's house and that families truly are forever.

After the tour, there was a reception with cookies. Whoever made the decision to serve cookies obviously doesn't have a toddler or hasn't had one in a long time. This is the result of said cookie: sugar rush in the temple courtyard.



Our little family!

No comments: