Anyway, it was amazing how well everything came together. The Young Men had very difficult choreography and we worked our butts off (literally--I lost 4 pounds!). It was definitely not the "coolest" routine but it was the most challenging and they did amazing. I didn't get to attend the actual celebration but I watched the broadcast at the church. The spirit at that event was so strong. President Monson said several times that he is an "advocate for these kinds of events." I am too. After participating in two Road Shows and this cultural event, these sort of performances really bring a sense of unity to members. The youth looked out for each other and helped one another.
In the end, this was not about steps or 8 counts. It was about following the prophet's counsel and about celebrating the temple. This experience has strengthened my testimony in a living prophet, temples and in a loving Heavenly Father. With all my health issues I almost turned the calling down because I wasn't sure I could do it. In the end, the calling was a blessing to me. I love to dance and I love working with the youth. Every Wednesday night, I'd be nervous driving to the church. But as soon as I came in, despite the wrestling boys and giggly girls I immediately felt the spirit. There were nights that I was in a lot of pain but I was able to not only get through teaching the dances but to feel peace. Peace . . . that is what I felt at every rehearsal. I know that sounds strange since I was basically yelling "5, 6, 7, 8" the whole time but on the inside I felt so at peace. I was very sad for it to be over. I miss the company of the young men and young women and I miss that feeling of peace.
The last rehearsal, I made the youth have a dance battle, boys vs. girls. I picked 3 judges and I even made a disco ball trophy for the winners! To even it out, I told them they would have to dance to the same mystery song. I played Rebecca Black's "Friday" and all the kids busted up laughing and cheered. It was pretty hilarious to see them trying to do salsa and soldier choreography to that song. The girls ended up winning though I still think the boys should've gotten more points for sheer enthusiasm (and for knowledge of the lyrics . . . I swear they know that song better than the girls!).
To sum it all up, amazing. I made a little commemorative video I've been shoving down everyone's throats because I'm very proud of it. It was the perfect way to end the chapter for me and to have memories of this awesome experience. Here it is! Take it away, Rebecca!
No comments:
Post a Comment