The second person to comment was my friend Tina. We've known each other since we were five and we share a sick sense of humor. We just seem to bring it out in each other. So I knew right away that I wanted to do something to make her laugh.
I was going through some of my old cards to get ideas and I found this quote: "A good friend is like a good bra: supportive, close to your heart and hard to find." I've tried to make a card with this quote a bunch of times, but it never worked. I tried to make a card that "unclasped" like a bra . . . you know, using hook and eyes. It didn't work, which was really disappointing. Luckily, I had the idea to look on the internet for vintage bra ads. I'm obsessed with anything vintage, especially the really kitschy stuff. I googled "50s brassiere ads" (on John's computer, no less--hee!) and I found some of the most hilarious stuff. I finally found this one and printed it off on cardstock.

As you can see, most of the work I did was on the bra. I painted the bra with pink acrylic paint. When that was dry, I put some glitter glue on. When that was dry, I put a product called Glossy Accents on. It's a clear gel that dries hard and clear. It is my #1 favorite craft product, period. For those who've seen most of my pages or cards, you know I'm addicted to the stuff. I use it on everything. It just makes everything look so polished and there's a million ways to use it. I used it on this card to give the bra some extra definition and shine. Finally, when the gel was set, I added a couple of rhinestones. I inked the edges in blue (I love that 50s combo of robin's egg blue and bubblegum pink) and, done. I printed the quote off on pink polka-dot paper in a very 50s diner sort of font.
I really love this card, but now, I kind of wish I had embellished it more. I wanted to keep the focus on the bra, so I kept it simple. Oh, well. Tina liked it. Here's what she said:
"I got your card today. LOVE IT! I caught Brian staring at is for like ten minutes. JK he hasn't even seen it yet. HA! Anyway thank you for the wondrous
card. Many thanks again."
She is so freakin' funny.
Come back in a couple of days when I post my final "Pay It Forward" project . . . the "yummiest" of all.
3 comments:
Cool. I liked reading all the background on the card. Do you mind if I post what you wrote about it on my blog? Brian was mad that I made that comment about him. He wants me to make it very clear that he does not stare at 50s brassiere ads. Deny, deny, deny!
you amaze me. i love this card.
SOOOOO creative! You have a great imagination!
Post a Comment