Have you ever seen or read something that totally disturbed you and you can't get it out of your head? I just started reading the novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West the other day. As most of you know, there's a popular Broadway musical based on this book. I figured it would be some light fantasy reading . . . a good follow-up to my dense fantasical fave, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (Hollywood, call me! I want to write the screenplay! Anthony Hopkins and Paul Bettany, call me! I want you to star!). I read the Prologue and right away I did not like this dude's prose style. It was really over the top, stuffed with adjectives . . . it screamed insecurity and pompousness . . . a really bad, yet common cocktail in modern literature (if you can call it that). Then I read the first two chapters. I almost chucked the book across the room. I cannot remember reading anything so perverted in all my life. There may have been a few runner-ups from college, but holy cow. It takes a lot to offend me, and boy howdy. I'm not going to repeat what it was, so you don't have to think about it either. I've been struggling all day today to scrub my brain.
What is wrong with people? Why on earth would you think that, much less write that, even less publish that? As a writer, you think about every single detail in your stories over and over again. All I can figure is that Gregory Maguire is a pedophile, or wants to be. Gross, gross, gross. How did this book ever get popular? I just feel like I need to take a million showers right now. Spiritual showers!!! It just makes me more grateful for the few books (written for adults) that are intelligent, entertaining well-written . . . and clean. Thanks, Susanna Clarke!
Slumdog Millionaire looked like a good, uplifting movie. So why did they have to make it R? I know why it's R . . . there are several scenes of torture on children. Why do you have to show that? You can drive the point home without resorting to sensationalism. Just the idea is enough . . . You don't have to show it being done. In movies, you don't have to show violence or sex . . . we can get the point with simple hints. I know why they did that in that movie, though. They thought if they made it PG-13, that it wouldn't be taken seriously by the Academy. Which, they were right . . . and that's why they won the Oscar and The Dark Knight wasn't even nominated. STUPID!
Enough kvetching. Today was a good day otherwise. Charlie has a bunch of molars coming in and he's going crazy. He hasn't slept well for the past week. Today, he took a three hour nap, so I was overjoyed. Too bad he's still acting like a rabid monkey. He's not Charlie anymore, he's Damian. Paging Father Merrick . . . Anyway, I'm counting my blessings that he took a normal nap. Enjoy it while I can . . . today I went to a consignment sale. It's a big one they do up here on the mountain twice a year. People line up an hour in advace, yada yada. I was very excited because I got a jogging stroller for $25! It's an old, fugly one. But, it'll work for us. Tomorrow is supposed to be warm, so I'm excited to get going.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Okay so I totally know what you are going through. Ashton has like four molars coming in all at once, and she is a completely different kid. She is usually so sweet and happy, but for the past week all she does is cry and want to be held. She hasn't eatten very well, and of course she doesn't sleep well. At first it was easy to deal with it all because I kept telling myself that she was in pain and that would make me feel sorry for her. But now I am about to go crazy. I can't take much more of this. I guess that is why God invented husbands.... so you can trade off when you are about to go insane. Anyway just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. :)
i got your lovely card...I LOVE IT!!!!!! Thank you! It's worthy of framing. Of course, now I feel like the ultimate loser because I've done yours yet. I might need a little more time.
I had no idea the book was so dirty! The play is really fun, I saw it with my mom even!
Post a Comment